Toasted pearl barley with pistachios and raisins and Fayrouz Pomegranate
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g pearl barley
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- Juice and zest of 2 small lemons
- ½ bunch chopped mint and parsley
- 5 tbsp pistachios, toasted and roughly chopped
- 5 tbsp raisins
- A drizzle of good quality olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp tahini
- 100g yoghurt
- A pinch of dried mint
- Fresh chili or harissa, to taste
- Roasted winter vegetables (pumpkin, artichokes, etc)
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a heavy-based pan and toast the barley in it. Add the stock. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until the barley is dented. Add the rest of the ingredients with a drizzle of good quality olive oil. Season to taste.
- Mix the tahini and mint into the yoghurt. For a little heat, add some fresh chili or harissa, to taste.
- Serve the barley with the tahini yoghurt and roasted winter veg of your choice and Fayrouz Pomegranate.