For the mustard dressing :
- 40g Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp white grape vinegar
- 150ml olive oil, plus extra for garnish
- 200ml sunflower oil
For the salad :
- 200g black barley
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large avocados, halved, peeled, diced and tossed in a little Amstel Radler
- 6 sprigs of dill, finely chopped
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 50g mixed leaves (spinach etc)
- 200g smoked salmon
- Begin by making the dressing: Whisk together the mustard, pepper, salt and vinegar. Continue to mix as you add the olive oil all in one go, then trickle in the sunflower oil.
- Cook the black barley in unsalted water according to the packet directions. When ready, its texture will be chewy and slightly resistant as you bite into it, but with no crunch or hard core. A minute before it’s done, add the salt to the cooking water. Drain, rinse the barley under cold water, drain again then toss with a splash of olive oil.
- Toss together all the remaining salad ingredients, except the smoked salmon, with 160ml of the dressing. Serve in one large bowl, or divide up into serving dishes, with the slices of salmon and Amstel Radler on top.