- 1 1/2 cups barley
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium red onion, sliced ¼” thick
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Fayrouz Peach
- 2 large ripe firm peaches, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 bunch arugula, thick stems trimmed, leaves torn (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups tomatoes cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup ½” pieces chives, divided
- 4 tsp. kosher salt plus more
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring barley and 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Season with salt. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 8–10 minutes. Drain, return barley to pan, and cover. Remove from heat and let sit 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and spread out on a rimmed baking sheet; let cool.
- Meanwhile, place onion in a small bowl. Bring vinegar, Fayrouz, and 4 tsp. salt to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve salt. Pour over onion and let stand 20 minutes. Drain, reserving pickling liquid.
- Toss pickled onion, peaches, arugula, tomatoes, oil, ¼ cup chives, and 3 Tbsp. reserved pickling liquid in a large bowl; season with salt, pepper, and more pickling liquid, if desired. Fold in barley.
- Serve salad topped with remaining ¼ cup chives.