- 100g pot barley
- 150g red lentils
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp dried sage
- 350g oats
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- Salt and black pepper
- Fresh bay leaves or a sprig of rosemary, to decorate
- 1 Amstel Radler
- Line one large 2lb (22cm x 12cm) loaf tin with baking parchment and preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Place the barley and the lentils in a medium strong pan over medium heat and cover with the stock. Bring to a simmer, stirring regularly to prevent the mixture sticking on the bottom and cook until the barley is tender and creamy. Add more stock as necessary so that it doesn’t dry out.
- Meanwhile, put the onion in a pan with the oil and sweat gently until soft. Add the garlic, vegetables and sage. Cook gently until soft; remove from the heat.
- Once the barley/lentil mixture is cooked, combine with the vegetables. Leave to cool slightly then add the oats and eggs. Season to taste. Transfer the mixture into the lined loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes or until firm and golden brown. Serve warm or cold with Amstel Radler on top.